It is important that we start this article by letting you know that given the specialized nature of wigs, it is not recommended that you style them at home. However, you can perform basic care for your wig at home, such as washing, drying and brushing. Here are five tips to help you successfully maintain your wig at home.
- Synthetic hair burns easily. Most wigs are made of synthetic material and are styled in a specialized manner to avoid burning- this is why we recommend you do not style your wig at home.
- Wash in cold water. Use shampoo that is specially formulated for synthetic fibres.
- Condition. Synthetic hair will feel rigid and dry if it is not conditioned. Again, use a conditioner that is specially formulated for synthetic fibres.
- Air dry or blow dry with cold air. As we mentioned earlier, synthetic hair is very heat sensitive. Blow drying with hot air will make your wig frizzy and high heat can cause the fibres to burn.
- Brush it. That’s all- brushing is the only styling you need to do at home. One of the perks of synthetic hair is that it holds its style quite well. Never use a curling iron, straight iron or other heated styling apparatus on a synthetic wig- it will burn.
If you feel your wig needs to be professionally styled, it is best to have it done by experienced professionals.